International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Off-Campus Housing

Off-campus housing is readily available in London. If you plan to live off-campus, it is best to arrive at least two weeks before classes begin to find a place to live. It is strongly recommended that you see the property and meet your roommates and landlord before signing a lease to ensure your needs and preferences are met.

Tip: Don't forget to reserve and budget for temporary accommodation to stay in while you search for housing.

Finding a Place to Live in London: First Steps

Note: Many websites advertise apartment and room rentals in London. Please be careful when using other websites.

Housing Terms

Things to Consider When Looking for Off-Campus Housing

Location and Distance

Tip: Use London Transit's Interactive CityMap to search the nearest bus routes to any address, as well as other points of interest (schools, parks, libraries, etc.). This is a great resource when researching housing in London!

Rent and Utilities Facilities and Furniture Tip: Western's Off-Campus Housing Service has an online Garage Sale where students can buy used furniture and other items from each other.

Other Questions to Ask

Signing Your Tenancy Agreement (Lease)

A tenancy agreement, also known as a lease or rental agreement, is a written, verbal or implied agreement between a landlord (owner) and a tenant (renter). Verbal agreements are valid. However, it is easier to prove the contents of a written agreement when there is case of a dispute. Most landlords require that tenants sign a lease.

Did you know? Western's Housing Mediation Services can review your rental agreement/lease for free before you sign it. They can also answer any other off-campus housing related questions or concerns you may have throughout the year. Click here to view their Top 5 Tips before you sign a lease.


Know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

Know your rights and responsibilities when renting in London. Read the Renting in London booklet by Western’s Off-Campus Housing Service to learn about your rights and responsibilities and to learn about the Residential Tenancies Act.

Important: The Residential Tenancies Act does NOT apply if you share a bathroom with the landlord (owner) or a member of his/her immediate family.

Rights and Responsibilities of the Landlord

If you require legal assistance due to problems with your landlord or need someone to explain your lease, contact any of the following services:

Off-Campus Housing Assistance for International and Exchange Students

Are you looking for off-campus housing?

Contact the Off-Campus Housing Services for personalized assistance with your housing search in London, Ontario, even if you aren’t in Canada yet. This service is only available to international and/or exchange students studying at Western University.

How can they help you?

Email or call 519-661-2111, ext. 85925. This service is offered from early May until the end of August each year. More information is available online:

**Please note this service is intended to connect you with housing. They are not involved in the finalization of securing a rental or make any guarantees regarding your living experience.**

General Resources for Students Living Off-Campus